[stylist] New Book, blindness on TV

Cheryl Orgas & William Meeker meekerorgas at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 14 17:44:58 UTC 2014

Several things bode well for the portrayal of a blind character in "Growing
Up Fisher."

1.  The blind guy is one of the heads of the family, not the main character.
I believe the sighted public is not ready for a blind main character.
Rather, blindness is most effectively approached obliquely.

2.  The show's creator has experience living with a blind person.  Sighted
people who relate most easily to me have been used to being around a person
with a disability.

3.  The show's creator has perspective about blindness.   He says
"...blindness is like the seventeenth thing wrong with him...".

4.  The show's creator intends to portray the character as a distinct person
rather than as an Everyman.  He said "I don't want this to be every visually
impaired person's story."  For me, a unique, distinct character is more
engaging and memorable than an Everyman.

The weak point may be in the blind character's portrayal.  The actor playing
the blind dad is sighted, and talks about "Your whole life is naturally
fixed on picked up movements," and "throwing things out of focus,"  although
it's possible that he is alluding to his character's having some residual
vision.  Regardless, the show's success or failure will depend on much more
than the blind character.

Bill Meeker