[stylist] New Book, blindness on TV

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 16 15:38:34 UTC 2014

Halle Berry is the actress in Monster Ball who won the Oscar, and I
don't recall her character being less than admirable. Her character
meets and develops a relationship with a white prison guard, played by
Billy Bob Thorton, who, as it turns out, not only comes from a family of
racists, but who was one of the guards to usher her husband to the
electric chair in prison. The film, if I remember, is about their
relationship and how they cope with all their individual issues--
racism, suicide, single-motherhood, Billy Bob Thortons job, etc. And
yes, Halle Berry is actually half white, half black, much like our
President, but she is considered a black actress nonetheless including
by Berry herself.

White people did black-face on the stage, but I can't recall a film
where a white person played a black person. Yes, black characters were
usually portrayed as Uncle Tom's, as they called it back then, or
uneducated or as fools or very stereotypical characters. It really
wasn't until the 50's and 60's that stronger, competent black characters
were seen in films. But to this day, it tends to be lighter-skinned
black actors who are cast. And unfortunately, we still have yet to see a
balance in films and plays with characters and actors of various races
and ethnicities.

One of my favorite plays is For Colored Girls Who've Considered Suicide
When the Rainbow isn't Enuf (this is how it's spelled in the play). I
hoped the film a version a few years ago would be good, but it didn't
live up to the play, I think. It was, however, adapted, produced and
directed by black people along with having an all-black cast. The film
The Help has black  characters played by black actors, and while the
characters are shown in subservient roles as maids and nannies in the
60's, it actually portrays the characters as strong, intelligent,
capable women equal to the white people they work for.

In my theatre classes, this was an often discussed issue if actors could
play races different than their own. As you can imagine, this is a
controversial subject with many tightly held opinions. At the end of the
day, if over-simplifying the issue, those on all sides of the
discussion, tend to agree that if a character is intended to be of a
certain skin color or ethnicity, an actor of that color or ethnicity
should play the part purely because it's a question of aesthetics. Of
course, this issue goes much deeper though.

With something like blindness though... Of course I think blind actors
should be considered for roles of both blind and non-blind characters,
and like any area of life, they should be treated as equals. But I still
have no problem with a non-blind actor playing the part of a blind
character though. Again, the job of an actor is to portray a character
to the best of their abilities, and usually this character has little to
nothing in common with the actors real life. This is the job description
of any actor. Take a role, study it, learn about it, portray the part as
well as you can.

Again, I ask, how is this all that different than a straight person
playing a gay person? A person who does not have with CP playing a role
of a character who does? An actor learning an accent or dialect
different from their own? Acting is pretending to be something you're
not, so I don't see the problem in casting an actor who is not disabled
to play a disabled character.

Bridgit