[stylist] Writers' Division February Telephone Gathering - Special guest, Editor of Future Reflections

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Feb 23 23:56:44 UTC 2014

First, be at the meeting and she'll giv you her email. Second, below is a
copy of the latest Future Reflections, and you'll find a way to reach her
there: (If all fails, ask me again: I think it would be okay for me to give
you her personal email?)

Future Reflections

A Magazine for Parents and Teachers of Blind Children published by
 the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults in partnership
 with the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children.

Volume 33 Number 1                                    Winter 2014

Deborah Kent Stein, Editor

Chelsey sits on a wall with a medieval Moroccan fort in the background.

ISSN-0883-3419

Copyright C 2014 American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults

For more information about blindness and children contact:
 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230 . (410)
659-9314
www.nfb.org/nopbc . nfb at nfb.org . dkent5817 at att.net

Orlando Site of 2014 NFB Convention

The 2014 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take place
in Orlando, Florida, July 1-6, at the Rosen Centre Hotel at 9840
International Drive, Orlando, Florida 32819. Make your room reservation as
soon as possible with the Rosen Centre staff only. Call (800) 204-7234.

The 2014 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $88. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under seventeen
in the room with parents, as long as no extra bed is requested. The hotel is
accepting reservations now. A $95-per-room deposit is required to make a
reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be refunded if notice is
given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation before May 28, 2014. The
other 50 percent is not refundable.

Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis until our block
is filled or until May 28, whichever comes first. After our block is filled
and/or after May 28, the hotel has no obligation to accept any further
reservations, but may do so if it has rooms available. In other words, you
should get your reservation in soon.

Guest-room amenities include cable television; in-room safe; coffeemaker;
hairdryer; and, for a fee, high-speed Internet access. Guests can also enjoy
a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-site spa. The Rosen Centre Hotel
offers fine dining at Executive Chef Michael Rumplik's award-winning
Everglades Restaurant. In addition, there is an array of dining options from
sushi to tapas to a 24-hour deli. The hotel has first-rate amenities and
shuttle service to the Orlando airport.

The schedule for the 2014 convention is:

Tuesday, July 1           Seminar Day
 Wednesday, July 2      Registration Day
 Thursday, July 3          Board Meeting and Division Day
 Friday, July 4              Opening Session
 Saturday, July 5          Business Session
 Sunday, July 6            Banquet Day and Adjournment

Contents

Volume 33 Number 1                                    Winter 2014

FEATURE

Reinterpreting and Expanding "The Right to Live in the World"
 by Dr. Adrienne Asch

EARLY CHILDHOOD

Social Skills for the Younger Years: Interaction and Play
 by Conchita Hernandez

TRANSITIONS

Having the Transition Conversation: Setting Goals for the Future
 by Lydia Schuck

120 Minutes: How the Federation Helped One Student Bound for College
 by Deborah Kendrick

TESTING

College Board Testing Accommodations: What You Need to Know
 by Jill Green

Common Core State Standards-Aligned Testing:
 Will Your Child Have Access to Accommodations?
 by Valerie Yingling, Megan Sidhu, Esq., and Melissa Riccobono

CAREERS

Life Lessons from a Tree
 by Cayte Mendez

An Unusual and Demanding Profession
 by Cassandra McNabb-McKinney

Emilie Gossiaux, School of Art Senior Blinded in 2010,Wins National Art
Award

TRAVEL

Frequent Flyer: Preparing Your Child for Independent Travel with the
Airlines
 by Faith Rosenshein Young

Self-Advocacy in Spain: Curiosity, Confidence, and Commitment
 by Chelsey Duranleau

TECHNOLOGY

Producing Tactile Materials: An Update
 by Robert Jaquiss

IDEAS AND PERSPECTIVES

The Horse Sense of Proper Training
 by Dr. Matthew Maurer

Of Parallels, Learning, and New Paradigms
 by Carlton Anne Cook Walker

PROGRAMS

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math to the Extreme
 by Natalie Shaheen

Behind the Scenes at Temple Beth El Sisterhood Braille Bindery
 an Interview with Barbara Mandelbaum

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Summer Programs

Scholarships, Awards, and More

ODDS AND ENDS

     Complete Future Reflections

     Complete Future Reflections Audio File (Zipped MP3 Version) Coming
Soon!

     Complete DAISY Audio File (Zipped MP3 Version) Coming Soon!

Subscription Information

Future Reflections is a magazine for parents and teachers of blind children.
It is published quarterly by the American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults in partnership with the National Organization of Parents of Blind
Children. Future Reflections is available free of charge to subscriber
addresses in the U.S. in regular print and audio formats and via email, or
it can be read online on the NFB website. Canadian subscriptions are $35.00
per year, and other foreign subscriptions are $75.00 U.S. per year. Checks
should be made payable to the National Federation of the Blind and sent to
the NFB, Attention Future Reflections, 200 E. Wells Street at Jernigan
Place, Baltimore, MD 21230.

For an email subscription to Future Reflections, visit
<www.nfbcal.org/listserv-signup.html> and follow the instructions.

To subscribe to Future Reflections in print or audio format, send an email
to ParentOutreach at nfb.org. Put "Subscribe to FR" in the subject line and
include your preferred medium in the body. Please include your address,
whether you are the parent of a blind child, a teacher, or other subscriber.
If you are a parent, include your child's name and birth date.

Why Join the NOPBC?

Are you the parent of a blind or visually impaired child?  Don't know where
to turn?

Founded in 1983, the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children
(NOPBC) is a membership organization of parents, educators, and friends of
blind children reaching out to give each other vital support, encouragement,
and information. We have thousands of members in all 50 states plus
Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.

The NOPBC offers hope, encouragement, information, and resources for parents
of blind or visually impaired children.  NOPBC provides emotional support
and a network of other families dealing with the same challenges you are
facing.  We also provide information, training, and resources to empower you
to take an active role in guiding your child's development and education.
We can provide information on your child's rights and on the laws and
legislative issues that will enable you and your child to become strong and
effective advocates.

Have you ever wondered what your blind or visually impaired child will be
capable of when he or she grows up?  The answer to that question is that
blindness/visual impairment does not have to stop your child from doing
anything he or she wants to do.  We can connect you with other families and
blind adults who can serve as positive mentors and role models. They can
teach you the attitudes and techniques that will enable your child to become
independent and to succeed in life.

What is different about the NOPBC?

Our status as a division of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the
largest and most influential organization of blind people in the world,
provides many benefits. Our members are well informed about the societal,
legislative, and technological issues that affect blind people. We also
enjoy the resources, support, and expertise of fifty thousand blind people
who can serve as mentors and role models for us and our children. Finally,
as our children grow up, they have the Federation to belong to.

No other organization for parents of blind/visually impaired children offers
more programs, activities, and training to families, children, and youth.
One of our most exciting activities is our annual conference.  Every year
since it was established, the NOPBC has conducted an annual conference for
parents and teachers of blind children as part of the national convention of
the NFB.  The program has grown to include five exciting days of workshops,
training sessions, activities for all family members, including sighted
families and children from around the country.

What is the mission of the NOPBC?

The purpose of the NOPBC is to:

.  create a climate of opportunity for blind children in home and society.
.  provide information and support to parents of blind children.
.  facilitate the sharing of experience and concerns among parents of blind
children.
.  develop and expand resources available to parents and their children.
.  help parents of blind children gain understanding and perspective through
partnership and contact with blind adults.
.  function as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind in
its ongoing effort to achieve equality and opportunity for all blind
persons.

Most states have an NOPBC affiliate chapter.  You can find your state
chapter at <www.nopbc.org>.  If your state does not have a chapter and you
would like to start one, please contact us.  We may be able to offer
training and other assistance to start a state NOPBC chapter.

What are the programs, activities, publications, and resources of the NOPBC?

.  National and State Parent Seminars and Conferences
.  Future Reflections Magazine
.  NOPBC Website
.  Books and Videos
.  Blindkid & Other Listservs
.  Early Childhood Conferences
.  Pop-Up IEP Website
.  Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest
.  Slate Pals Pen Pal Program
.  AAF Free Braille Books Program
.  Share Braille Book Exchange
.  Writing Contests
.  Junior Science Academy
.  Youth Slam High School Science Academy
.  National Center for Blind Youth in Science Web site
.  NFB-NEWSLINER Newspaper Service
.  Where the Blind Work Website
.  Free White Cane Program
.  Blindness 411 Facebook Group for Teens
.  NFB-LINK Mentoring Program
.  Scholarship Program
.  Straight Talk about Blindness Video Series
.  Parent Leadership Program (PLP)

Contact Us:
President at nopbc.org
 <www.nopbc.org>