[stylist] Hotkeys in the new 2010 and 2013 word and generalMicrosoft products: RE: Tech Writing:Ten StepsToMake AccessibleWord Documents For PDF Production

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 21:24:05 UTC 2014

Robert,
Isn't this Virtual Ribbon setting in Jaws the only way you can access the
ribbons to begin with? I have Virtual Ribbons enabled, and I thought it
preserved MS's new groupings, which are confusing to me. I can and do use
it, and I've used the option to add things to the Quick Access Toolbar,
which you get to by up arrowing from one of the main ribbon items.

When I was learning to do styles and formatting for my novel, I ran across
at least one instance where something I had read about wasn't even on the
ribbon. You had to go into some obscure dialog and select from hundreds of
options that you could add to the ribbon.

For those who are blissfully ignorant of the MS Ribbons, what we're talking
about is a total replacement of the whole File, Edit, View ... Menus as
you've come to know and love them. The clipboard, for instance (copy, cut,
paste, etc.) which you expect to find under Edit, is now under the Home tab.
The hotkeys Control+c, x or v still work at least in Word 2010.

Just in case anyone's interested, there are three horizontal levels in
Virtual Ribbons. The middle level provides the main navigation and gives you
a selection of tabs. The lower level is called the Lower Ribbon. The upper
level is the Quick Access Toolbar

the main Ribbon tabs, which you right-arrow through are: Home, Insert, Page
Layout, references, mailings, Review, View, (I added a "Format Novel" tab
next), Add-ins, PDF, and then 3 buttons: Minimize the Ribbon, Microsoft Help
& File. These 3 "buttons" are referred to as the "Backstage view."

If you have Virtual Ribbons enabled in Jaws, you press Alt and, the Home Tab
is in focus, assuming you didn't use something else during the same session
of Word. So, once on Home, you down-arrow through a group of submenus:
Clipboard, font, paragraph, styles & Editing. Each must be opened with a
right arrow and then you up or down arrow through your choices. If you want
to get back to the level where you can move from the Home tab to the Insert
tab, you need to either back-arrow  or escape your way out.

I think for me the thing that was even more troubling than the
re-organization was the way choices were presented to begin with. I use the
Paragraph and Font dialogs, for instance, and my natural inclination is to
down-arrow through menus. That's scary, because the paragraph submenu starts
with the "bullets split button." I'm always scared of bullets. *grin*

it looks like you have to make every single choice about a paragraph or a
font separately. This is thankfully not the case. Up-arrow instead. Up-arrow
once inside the Paragraph submenu and you get "paragraph ... Button menu"
which is the paragraph dialog you used to get under the old Format menu.
Same thing with Font; up-arrow to get "font ... Button menu" for the old
Font dialog. Or, use those menu find key sequences like alt+o, f for the
font dialog and alt+o, p for paragraph.

Warning, this paragraph is not for the squeamish. Using the Backstage view,
if you down-arrow from File, for instance, you get a list of Tabs: recent,
new, print, save & send, and then the Help and Add-ins buttons again,
followed by a "menu... options" for your opened document -- the name starts
with the word "Menu" and ends with the word "options." Down-arrowing from
here you finally get the list of things you've probably been wondering about
-- exit, save, save as, open & close. Then, if you continue to down-arrow it
says "leaving menus" and you're at the "info tab." the next down-arrow is
back to the Recent tab. I really don't like this backstage view thing!

OK, I must say something nice about the ribbons, if for no other reason than
to preserve my self image as a reasonable person. I like the insert menu.
It's easy to insert links. Perhaps, I just never learned this in Word 2003,
but nonetheless, I do use the Insert tab. One thing you need to become aware
of, if you want to self-publish, especially with Smashwords, which I highly
recommend, is the nasty habit Word has of inserting bookmarks. You'll never
notice them unless you select "Show Hidden Bookmarks," but you'd better get
rid of them before sending anything to Smashwords. Word's automatic
bookmarks usually start with "OLE."

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm giving myself a migraine.
Donna