[stylist] Happy New Year - a new blog article

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sat Jan 4 02:18:10 UTC 2014

Hi Robert,
You always throw me a curve. You make me laugh out loud.
You are such a close reader!
Thanks for your comments which are always thought provokers, to borrow your
phrase.

I reworked this piece a couple more times after I posted it on the blog - so
it has shifted and changed a couple times today. I added some nuances that
brought more clarity, and I really reworked the final list of "intention"
that I ended it with - expanded and softened the voice there, I think.
I kept seeing some grammar  issues that needed fixed, and there is probably
lots more of them to be fixed - but I am the farthest thing from being an
editor that ever could be. That is not my forte'.
I leave it to those who are really good at it and it's not ME!!!

Ah, the CROW, appears often in my work. You know, the crow has connections
with the underworld - very strong connections.
The crow is MY personal totem.  The crow lives between two worlds and
transverses back and forth continuously between them.

Well, I have never thought much about gender of the writers I read the most.
I have thought of it in poetry - most of my favored poets are male.
I do have some favorite female poets, too.  My favorite poets  are mostly
all African American writers.  Rilke and Kafka top my list. But, for other
writing, I think I don't have a bias - I like good research and academic
authors best - because I am strickly a non-fiction reader - very very seldom
ever read anything that is fiction - that is my personal preference.
Mythology is my greatest love, but that is non-fiction, too. And, yes, I
would think my writing would have a strong female voice - an ancient female
voice.  I  consciously  write with a post modernist mind-set. It is in my
organization of the text, the themes, and the picture I make on the page as
I weave the story.  I consider that nothing is ever "finished" and that
everything is subject to tweaking, overwriting, erasure, layering and
changing at any time. I write exactly how I construct a work of art - I
build it, layer by layer. My husband would probably say that living with me
is a roller coaster ride -

It think it is fascinating what another person "gets" from reading
something - it's like what a person "gets" from an art work in a gallery. It
may be something entirely different than what an artist/writer was thinking
about - but so much of it all depends on the reader/viewer's own personal
history that is brought to the piece.

My father lost his mother when he was three.  In his 60s he wept one day as
he told me that he "cannot remember her voice or her face."  It was a sorrow
that he held his entire life.  I love Robert Bly's writings about the
"mother" figure - it's a theme that is all through his work.

Lynda