[stylist] Transportation and help when needed

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 04:52:33 UTC 2014

I completely relate, Lynda.

Most the friends I had before blindness are no longer friends, and the
few I do, I no longer see on a regular basis. I've made very few new
friends, and of these new friends, most are blind too.

It's like the minute I lost my sight, I also lost the person I was.
People just assume I will have nothing in common with them because
blindness is such a vastly different experience. I still enjoy all the
same things as before, many being so-called visual things, yet most
can't get over the blindness.

My family has never been close, at least not like some families. Ross
and I are pretty independent and don't require much daily or even weekly
assistance. We use various tools, methods and products to do things, at
least when they are necessary. The biggest help I need most weeks is
making sure Declan's clothes are all matched and no major stains. I
safety pin outfits together, but every now and then items go missing.
This, I've found, has been the biggest obstacle as a blind parent so
far, grin. My family isn't always sensitive though to the times we could
use some sighted help. And transportation is very difficult to come by
in particular with them.

As a blind person, I don't always know if people are outside unless they
make obvious noise. When I hear neighbors, I say high, but my husband
and I have been in our yard , knowing the neighbors we share a fence
line with are also out, and they never are the first to say high. So
this makes meeting neighbors difficult. Oddly enough, when Declan is
with us, neighbors are more likely to initiate conversation than when we
are alone. Funny that a 17-month-old acts as a buffer, LOL!

I know some blind people who seem to have transportation available at a
moments notice from family and friends, but this just isn't the case for
us. In the warm months, taking the bus or walking isn't a problem, but
this time of year, especially with the current weather, it's not always
an option when I have baby. Ross takes a bus to work every day, and
while in school, I took a bus, but I'm not comfortable dragging Declan
out in the winter on a bus unless absolutely necessary. Cabs are pretty
reliable here, but it can be costly depending on where you go.

I think this is an issue most blind people deal with. Those of us who
once could drive always lament about the loss of driving, and those who
never could drive, wish they had had the opportunity. Like all other
issue we deal with, because we are a small minority, not much is done to
assist the situation.

Bridgit