[stylist] Donna, Robert, Computer experts, help, and other four letter words

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Jul 20 23:02:34 UTC 2014

Donna and all,
I have wondered about the virtual ribbon. The instructor  I hired said she
installed it. She also put in some directions for it. AT some point she
changed it saying  I could handle the regular. But I have typed all of these
instructions. She said they would work on either one.
Then the state instructor said that he was individualizing it for various
operations because of some of my prior knowledge, and some big gaps.
The result is that I do not know which settings all of my little notes on
hot keys work or not, and I still have a terrible time with making them
work. An instance, for page numbering, Alt, N, then N U. It is supposed to
bring up that menu that I can open. It does nothing.
Both instructors went through and changed many individual settings
I am tempted to now change it back to virtual ribbon. My question is: Will
it change back to the original settings before they were changed by anyone,
or will it be the virtual ribbon with some of the settings still changed?
Will I find the complete list of settings under options in the JAWS menu? I
know you do not have time for this, but it looks like I am on my own with
this.   When he left last week, he said that perhaps I had trouble with my
motherboard, or my sound card, and that perhaps because I had not used it
for two years except for installing the software by Cox, after buying it, it
had deteriorated. He also said that JAWS 15 should not have been installed
with Microsoft 7, for it was geared to 8.  Also that Freedom Scientific
could not keep up with the fixes for my combination, and that is why my
attachments will not open. He said JAWS was not installed properly, and
since 13 and 15 were still on my computer, and the older one not removed
first, He could no longer hope to reinstall it and get a pure result. It
goes on and on. If I hire anyone else at my own cost, I go broke. I waited 8
months to be approved by the state. Now he does not want to return until I
get my computer fixed.
Right now, I have to get a line count for all of my poetry before
submission, and Alt, R, then W does not work for the word count. It goes on
and on.
Still, I will get twenty poems ready to post by next Friday when I have a
driver hired.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Computers are the fires in which we burn.
After Delmore Schwartz