[stylist] Poem - "Pagan" - First Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:37:58 UTC 2014

HI Jackie,

Thanks so much!  I've only submitted poems to the Paris Review and to
Poetry Magazine;  might as well start at the top is my thinking.  But
they rejected the poems I sent along, so I'm strategizing now.  I guess
I only need to do some research on the Web, and also might submit to the
Seattle Review, which is pretty classy, and local into the bargain.
Plus I'd like to submit to other, smaller magazines and journals, once I
read and evaluate the stuff with which my work will be sharing space.
I've really been kind of lazy about publishing.  Or maybe it's just a
different focus --I've been so prolific during the last two years and
haven't even given much thought to publication.  But now I'm thinking
ahead towards publishing a book.  Do you know anything about how that's
done?  I mean, are there publishers who'll cover the cost of producing
your work if they like it well enough?  Or is it strictly a
by-invitation thing, where book editors see your stuff around and offer
you a chance to publish with them?  See, I'm sophisticated enough when
it comes to writing my stuff, but when it comes to the professional side
of things I'm a big fat dodo, LOL.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

--Bill

--Bill