[stylist] Poem - "Hiroshima" - (sonnet)

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:16:38 UTC 2014

HI Gang,

Here's a sonnet; one of the few I've written worthy of the name, and it
shouldn't be a headache to read, as far as I can tell. Comments welcome,
as always.

--Bill

---

No enemies were bombed, no tanks or planes:

just people walking dogs or bringing home

their fish and rice from market stalls while chains

of splitting atoms high above become

a lightning hellish holocaust which rains

a nightmare poison down, a billion wraths.

Today, the children fold their paper cranes

and pray to save the world from psychopaths.

But that's a country with an ancient mind,

where history is taught and facts retained.

America, I fear, is not that kind

Our virgin state, when lost, is e'er regained.

To learn and leave the past?We're not inclined:

our nation's got a faint, forgetful mind.

copyright William L. Houts 2014
United States of America
All Rights Reserved