[stylist] a different take on everything

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon Jun 23 18:11:26 UTC 2014

Lynda,
Thank you for responding with such an interesting history of your own.
I also met Gwendolyn Brooks as she was a good friend of my mother's. I
believe that she also was a contributor to the Chicago Tribune's column,
called, "A Line O' Type or Two, Let the Quips Fall Where They May" I think
they both got their start as poets in Chicago, and I still have Gwendolyn's
book called "Bronzeville," I think. I love her poem called, "We Real Cool."
I patterned one after that called, "We Real Old."
A small world, isn't it?
At any rate, Yes, I would like to have a pattern for how to submit a mixed
genre poetry/narrative book to a mixed audience of abused women, and the
professionals that concern themselves with this group. It is  difficult  to
crack, as the treatment of domestic violence is not done in poetry, the
victims are not usually interested in poetry, and teachers, counsellors,
doctors who treat the broken bones, and psychiatrists digging deeper,
usually all have their own jargon, and not a lot of motivation to read the
poetry about the subject.
At the same time, the problem only gets worse, and there is a huge hidden
audience out there somewhere.
Off-hand, I do not know of mixed genre publishers that would treat of this
subject in  poetry with a dollop of prose.
Let me know if any thoughts come your way. I have had many of the poems
published in contests. Perhaps I will attach one, a first place in a Science
category.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.