[stylist] Mary Oliver

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Wed Jun 25 16:54:11 UTC 2014

Bill,
I agree with you about Mary Oliver. I passed three of her books of poems on
to friends when I lost my sight.
I did want to point out one thing. During all of my classes on poetry, it
has been emphasized that one should cut the "ands," the "buts," and so
forth. If you read some of Mary Oliver's poems, please note that she starts
a great many lines with "and."
I re-read many of them, and they did not detract from her poetry for me in
the least.
I think it proves the rule, that one must know all the rules, but then has
the wisdom to break them by how that rule works or does not work in a poem.

Jackie