[stylist] Smashwords

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:17:19 UTC 2014

Bridgit,
A very good point. Things have changed dramatically in the publishing
industry, and if you get a deal, you can count on doing your own bookings
and promotions, and you'll be hearing a clock ticking in the background. You
need to make something of it in the time they give you, or you will have the
plug pulled. Some writers end up having to pay back part of their advance,
when the publisher decides to cut their losses. There is also the matter of
who owns the rights to the book after the publisher has given up on it. You
need to make sure you understand all of the details of the contract and
understand that it wasn't written to help you but to help the publisher.

Some time this fall it became clear to me that I had been very fortunate not
to have a publisher. Rich got sick right around the time the book came out
in print, and he was so sick for so long that my whole approach to marketing
-- along with my ability to do much of anything -- went up in smoke. I can't
imagine how I would have dealt with it, if I had been given six months by
the publisher.
Donna