[stylist] Smashwords

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:38:33 UTC 2014

Ann,
I paid someone, they screwed it up and did everything Smashwords tells you
not to, and then I did it myself and got it approved on my second or third
try. It was doing the Table of Contents manually that was hard to get my
head around, and the hidden bookmarks.
But, I figured it out. It's not the kind of work I enjoy, though there is
something to be said for struggling with a new way of thinking and figuring
it out.

Are you going to do print as well? I wish I had continued formatting my own
print version. I was so close, but I was so wrung out, that I ended up
having Create Space do it. They yessed me to death and then did what they
wanted, which would have made the book quite a bit longer/more expensive for
me and the reader/less profitable. I had to throw a holy fit to finally get
their attention. I had told them up front that I expected the book to be 344
pages, and I provided them with all of the settings I was using to get it
there. They wanted to make the titles of each chapter huge and have huge top
and bottom margins. I finally got what I wanted, but it wasn't easy.
Everything at Create Space has to do with size of the book, page count and
type of paper. They do a very good job on the site of giving you the info
you need. I wanted the reader to have an easy reading experience, so I chose
12 point Times New Roman with the "at least" line spacing option. It's not
quite like double-spacing, but more relaxed than single spacing.

On that note, if you or anyone are going to do print and e-book versions,
you need to separate the two in your mind. One huge difference is that you
don't format for specific page  attributes, because e-readers have the
ability to change font and size. For print, you need to calculate the
margins and gutters, which isn't necessary for e-books. Also, the layout is
different. Smashwords recommends that, if you have some, you use quotes
about the book right up front, before the title page. They should be short,
though, and some of the material you might want to include in the front is
best left till the end. This is because of the preview downloads that people
can get for free to check the book out. You want to give them as much from
the body of the book as possible.
Donna