[stylist] Page numbering

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:48:05 UTC 2014

Atty,
Great question. The header & footer thing is the thing about all of this
that gives me the most fits. I use Word 2010 & Jaws 12, and I can't tell
when something works -- i.e., I theoretically insert a header and it doesn't
show up in the document in a way that Jaws can read.

Last year when I was formatting my novel, I called FS and a guy told me that
I should download the latest version of Jaws, which works better for using
some of the more advanced options in Word. I did, and used it in demo mode,
which I think gives you 40 minutes. The Styles options worked much better,
but I burned out on the headers and footers. .

 If it's any comfort, back in the days of Word 2003, I was trying this and
the headers would end up stuck between text in a random fashion. A sighted
writer friend of mine told me that she put them in manually, after she was
sure she was done editing -- is anyone ever sure their done editing?

That said, using Office 2010 with Jaws 12 and the virtual ribbons enabled,
on the Insert tab the options for Headers are under Header & Footer submenu,
which is opened with right arrow. You enter on Header button drop down, and
there are a lot of predefined choices, after the first 2, which are blank
with one column and blank with 3 columns. If you enter on one, it opens an
edit field. If you up arrowinstead of down arrowing, you find choices to add
remove or edit header.

One of my biggest problems is that I can't tell if I've actually done the
right thing to select one.  It seems like I have to close the edit field,
which closes the document. Also, there's a temptation on my part in dialogs
to use tab, but there are a lot of places in this area where you are either
unable to do it because you're in an edit field, or in the lists, you get
the same thing when tabbing as when using up or down arrow. When I re open a
document after selecting a header, I can only tell if anything was done by
using the option to root Jaws cursor to PC cursor, and then, all I can tell
is that the text I used for the title is there somewhere.  I can never tell
about page numbers;

Also, many of the choices are separated into odd and even numbered pages,
for use in book layout format. In my novel, the headers on odd and
even-numbered pages are different. I think the title is on the left or
even-numbered page and the author on the right or odd-numbered page.
Donna