[stylist] writing sample

Miss Thea thearamsay at rogers.com
Wed Mar 12 19:03:21 UTC 2014

This story reminds me of The Readers Digest.
I did have one or two observations. This is something I have to watch for
myself.
Changes from plural to singular as in this quote

But her diagnosis tweaks a fear response in all our psyches. Our shared
humanity dictates that we do something, because God forbid, what if it
happened to me?

I would have changed it to what if it happened to us.
For me, that changes the tone from personal/editorial to personal.
There are a couple more examples, but my hands are in a lot of pain today,
so I can't go through them all. Only a couple. But it changes the tone of
the article.
I'm glad you added the postscript. At the time of writing, she was very
early in her journey, and I was curious as to how it all turned out.
Also, I wonder how Louisa Murphy got into the article. The bowling ball
example was great--a great metaphor, but I wonder if the mention of someone
else in the article was necessary, as the whole story was about Becky. I
think the mention of a female walking by unaware when that ball began to
fall was good. It served as a metaphor for Becky's life.
Just my thoughts,
Thea