[stylist] Thea, New Kid

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Thu Mar 13 13:13:32 UTC 2014

Hi Bridgit,
There are "standards," and the new WCAG guidelines that are internationally adopted and will become law in the US are even better than the old ones in effect now. They made them intentionally measurable and technology-neutral. The problem is, just as with the physical standards, there is some room for interpretation in the implementation. Plus, in my humble opinion, as someone who is working to improve my writing, the writing is so bad that you shake your proverbial head and hope you interpret what they mean. Part of this is because they intentionally strip out any technology-specific language in the guidelines, and then go on to point you to technology-specific solutions. And the number of links that you have to click to find out what they are talking about and how to implement the stuff would just make any developer or tester gray before they are born. So I totally understand how a developer can just throw up their hands and say "Just tell me what to do already.  I want to help, but this is just not fun. And then we have some crazy blind dude saying "This isn't accessible and you owe me some help," with no guidance on how to help. Oops, there I go again.

One example or two will help, maybe. On street corners, you have ramps. Sometimes, there is a ramp at each cross walk. Sometimes there is one ramp right on the corner for both cross walks. Sometimes the ramp has little rubber things on it to help wheelchair users stop. Sometimes not. On the web, we are supposed to have alternate text for images, even if the alternate text is blank and eliminates decorative images from cluttering up the listening space. The guidelines say nothing about what text to write to describe those images.

Along with the guidelines, though, we have a body of supplemental documents that periodically are going to be refreshed by the guidelines people every six months that try to capture the best things to do to write the descriptions for images. The guidelines and best practice documents cover all accessibility issues, but you get the idea, right?

Along with that, technology is changing, browser support of accessibility is evolving, screen reader vendors are trying to keep up, we are trying to educate developers and testers, even the underpinning that exposes the accessibility is evolving with each release of whatever operating system you run, decisions are being made about how to support backward compatibility, and how long can I make this sentence?

It's just not very simple, but I truly think that most people want to help, and they will want to help more if we educate, rather than wine. But it makes us look bad when we don't know how, and the reason doesn't matter, to solve some of our own problems.

One case in point is that many blind people know an inaccessible Word document when they see one, but don't know how to create them. We need to largely help ourselves. We can't say that we want people to feel all sorry for us because we are blind and then as our first reaction, ask for help before we google, or press F1 for help, or read a few paragraphs of screen reader help.

Woo. Maybe I'm wining too much.

Thanks for your patience.

Jim
Jim