[stylist] lgbt and NFB

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 19:58:21 UTC 2014

I disagree completely. Skin color is absolutely a choice. When I don't wear
sun block, drink a six pack and pass out on the beach all day, my skin turns
a completely different (and painful) color. And that's my choice.

Sorry--just trying to lighten things up.

Tyler, you raise an interesting point that I can't explain, but I know is
true. As long as you are in the minority, it's okay to use derogatory
language. If you aren't in the minority, it's hate speech. The ugly word
'nigger' comes to mind. Some African Americans toss it around like I say
"the". But if caucasian me were to use it, I'm a hate mongerer. I've heard
many LGBT people use queer the same way. I don't know how they would react
if I were to use it, but since I don't want to offend anyone, I won't. In my
editing, I ran across a woman who had CP using the word 'crip' in her essay,
and I was appalled. But she said it was common among people with
disabilities, especially those in wheelchairs, to use crip to describe
themselves or others. Again, I'l stik to less inflammatory words, although I
have many friends who are black, gay, and/or disabled.

chris, also known as whitey, straight guy, and reasonably physically fit.