[stylist] lgbt and NFB

kec92 at ourlink.net kec92 at ourlink.net
Fri Mar 14 02:04:57 UTC 2014

Hello Cheryl and others,

Some of need to express our feelings about what we experience through
words. I think this topic is a good starting point for people to get
ideas to start their own ideas. Sometimes talking about an issue can
help writer's overcome writer's block or have a platform to jump off for
something that they would like to write. The discussion has helped me
put more context into the play that I am writing. I would like to
encourage others to keep talking.

Katie

On 13.03.2014 19:31, Cherylandmaxx wrote:

> It doesn't belong on this list.i jave many friends within this organization that fall under This and you are not the only one who has brought this up since our state president sits on the board we bring it up all the time
> But this is not this list for it.
>
> Talk it to blind talk list or to Dr . Maurer and the board at National. You want change fight for it.
>
> Cheryl Echevarria, president
> NFB TRAVEL ANS TOURISM
> Echevarria Travel
> www.echevarriatravel.com [1]
> Echevarriatravelblog.com
> 631-456-5394
> Reservations at echevarriatravel.com
> Cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

> Hi, Katie.
> Kudoes for all you're doing.
> I brought up the whole LGBT division idea because as you already recognized
> it, there is ableism in that community, too.
> I'm sorry to the person who thinks this is garbage, but there are some parts
> of the blind community that are not being served.
> Whether it's LGBT or the mainstream Christian church, ableism is just as
> strong as it's ever been, despite the technological advances.
> The world sadly still needs educating.
> When I joined a blind lesbian group and the first message I heard was "It's
> the same here as in the general public", I knew she was right.
> My article "I'll Call Her Sandy" states that, according to the FBI's page on
> romance scams, disabled people are one of the targets.
> Finding a life partner no matter your orientation is one of the most
> important goals for most people. The fact we lack eyes, or at least some of
> us do, changes that not one whit.
> I think there should be a division dealing with education, helping people
> who find themselves alone or being taken advantage of time after time, and
> if I weren't dealing with so much other stuff besides being blind, I'd
> create one myself.
> In lieu of that, I write and place it on a blog.
> Thea

 it, but
since I don't want to offend anyone, I won't. In my editing, I ran across a woman who had CP using the word 'crip' in her essay, and I was appalled. But she said it was common among people with disabilities, especially those in wheelchairs, to use crip to describ

> themselves or others. Again, I'l stik to less inflammatory words, although I
> have many friends who are black, gay, and/or disabled. chris, also known as
> whitey, straight guy, and reasonably physically fit. ----- Original
> Message ----- From: "Tyler" <programmer651 at comcast.net> To: "Writer's
> 3:31 PM Subject: Re: [stylist] lgbt and NFB Some of the things about the
> LGBT scene confuse me. For example, I heard LGBT bands are choruses singing
> songs with the word "queer" in them. Isn't that a homophobic curse words
> used by the completely-intollerant straight people? Tyler Z
> change your list options or get your account info for stylist:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/attyrose%4 [4]
> 0cox.net
> [3]

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/kec92%40ourlink.net [5]