[stylist] Thea, New Kid

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Fri Mar 14 11:33:49 UTC 2014

Hi Miss Thea,
You would be a great candidate for the process I'm playing with. I think you could do all of the formatting before you ever get the document into Word, except for the little used things like foot notes and end notes. I'll have to check to see if there is a way to do that, also.

Off the top of my head, though, when you write your documents, you can feel them in computer braille, format heading levels from 1 through 5, and that includes numbered headings, like 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, and all that, bulleted lists, numbered lists, block quotes, bold, italic, hyperlinks within the same document, Hyperlinks to other documents, e-mail addresses, and tables with top row headers, plus more. So you could totally ditch Word and use something very simple, like Notepad to make your documents, run this little program, view the document in your web browser to make sure the formatting works, open it in Word, spell check, correct in the original if you don't like it, and you are done. This also includes a table of contents at the top. I would have to play with pictures to see how that part works. It just happens that the stuff I have been doing with it has to do with teaching people how to do accessibility testing with the free NVDA screen reader, so I haven't tried pictures.

I have to figure out how to make the script into an executable program that I can just give to people, so they don't have to go through a lot of crazy setup hair pulling. I run out of energy by the time I get home these days.

So if you think you are interested, I will make sure that the process works even better than it does, and see if I can get it to where it works for people who just want to learn it and do it with little or no fuss.

Thanks.

Jim