[stylist] dividing blind people into groups

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 03:18:32 UTC 2014

I was sighted until the age of 22. I lost my sight through a viral
infection, pneumonia and uraceptus all at the same time. At one point,
my parents were told to prepare for my death. The meds weren't working,
and my organs were shutting down. Obviously I'm alive and well, but I
did lose my sight as a result.

I think because of my experience, I've never gone through the rage or
depression I hear many go through when losing sight. At first, the loss
was gradual. Things just looked like an Impressionist painting, a little
fuzzy around the edges, but I could see relatively well. Within a year
though, I lost it all except light perception and I can see shadowy
movement. But since I almost died and didn't, I think this has always
stoppered some of those initial emotions most go through.

This doesn't mean I enjoyed losing my sight or it was easy, but I just
haven't struggled the way many have, including my husband. He went
through a point where blindness was just the worse thing he could
imagine, and I've never understood this position. Blindness has always
been low on my list of worse things.

Actually, I didn't really have feelings of hate towards my blindness
until my son was born, oddly. I just want to experience the world he
does, when he does, and I want to see him. Nonetheless, my burdens come
more from how others view my blindness then me feeling it holds me back
or limits me.

I also have visual memories  of things I haven't actually seen. Personal
moments, films, pictures, I retain visual memories as though I saw them,
and they typically are the same visual each time I think of a given
thing. Not sure if others experience this too.

So yes, I understand the world visually as well as tactilely, and I
still am very much a visual person.

I wear make-up and usually know what look I'm going for depending on
what I wear. I shop only with my mom or sister because I know their
sense of fashion and trust them. I buy clothes based on how they look on
me as opposed as to how they feel. Even my pajamas have to go together
or my yoga clothes, grin. Nothing mismatched; no plaid with polkadots or
burnt red with pastel pink, smile. I also am very involved in how my
home décor looks visually. I have the advantage of understanding colors
and patterns and styles, so I not only know what I want, but understand
most visual descriptions of items.

I've never been a fan of touching things, so that sucks, grin. And I
also have a small fear of germs, so touching isn't a great experience
for me. Ross and I lived in this apartment when we were first married,
and the kitchen cupboards had this texture, and I couldn't stand to
touch it. The texture for some reason grossed me out. Visually, I was
told it looked fine, but when touching, it had rough bumps. I had to use
a towel or something to open, LOL! I also hate touching things out in
public because I instantly feel dirty. Okay, I'm officially crazy,
smile.

Bridgit