[stylist] Ode To There-There

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 02:43:03 UTC 2014

HI Thea,

For something you merely "dashed off", this one has a lot to recommend
it, though I think that some editing could really serve to bring out
this poem's strengths.  For instance, I think the phrase "sightless
hands" --now other editor-poets may disagree with me on this-- is not
the best phrase.  The reader, or anyway this reader, says:  well, of
course they're sightless, we're talking about hands here, LOL.  But the
description of the cat's ears as "silkies" is delightful.  I do think,
though, that to describe your little friend as feline is redundant with
repititive redundancies;  your description of the silky, swiveling ears
already puts us in mind of our kitty friends, we don't need a further
"feline" to clinch the deal. As for the earlike sound effects, I'm not a
fan of onomatopoeia in poetry, but you did choose the right sounds, in
my opinion, and I have to admit that cat's ears do make that thappish
fuffish sound when they ruffle them, so we each score half a point.  In
general, Thea, it's a fun and valorous effort, and you'll make a true
poet of yourself if you can stay the course, and continue to produce
works like this.

--Bill

  --Bill