[stylist] dividing blind people into groups

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:38:45 UTC 2014

With most disabilities, it's about learning how to adapt and moving
forward. It's not about heroism or bravery, and we certainly are not
exceptional. Most humans have the ability to adapt, learn and grow.
Living with a disability is this straight forward and simple as this.
Every time I hear how amazing I am for doing the most mundane, routine
thing, I cringe. I'm constantly trying to explain this concept, but most
can't accept it.

We are all at different levels of ability, disabled or not. While I do
believe in challenging one another and definitely promote the use of
nonvisual tools, I also am of the opinion that we shouldn't judge or
negatively criticize. There's a time and place for every thing and a way
in which to challenge people. And ultimately, until we actually live
inside a person, we don't completely know their unique situation.

I encourage you to learn Braille; it's a very handy and useful tool for
the blind. I learned the entire code in four months, though I did have
the advantage of learning it while training at the Iowa Department for
the Blind, so I had no other distractions or things to deal with .
Nonetheless, one can learn it. I do not read it very quickly though, but
it is helpful to label things and read Braille books to my son.

At the end of the day though, it's about being the most efficient person
you can be. If that's with the aid of nonvisual tools like Braille, it
just means you have more tools in your tool box in which to use; if it's
without nonvisual tools, and you're able to live independently and
efficiently, great, no problem. I don't think we need feel guilty
because we don't have or use the exact same tools and methods as others.
Though again, we also need to challenge one another and strive to have
as many tools at our disposable as possible.

Bridgit