[stylist] Sharing writing- Nonfiction: Diabetic insulin reaction

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 02:02:50 UTC 2014

HI Bridgit,

This is very good, but then I hardly expect otherwise from you even
after such a short acquaintance.  I do have just a couple of criticisms,
though, and they're not very severe.  First of all, comparing your
flailing hands to goldfish out of water seems mildly comical to me, and
I'm not sure why.  It's kind of a standup comic thing, I guess, talking
about the poor goldfish. The other thing which struck me as slightly off
the right tone was your references to your father's "muscular
physique".  Now, I'm sure that kids notice when dear Dad is powerfully
built and so on, but those particular words carry for me a slightly
porny feel not quite appropriate to a small child.

And that's really it.  The rest of it,, Bridgit,  is chilling, and it is
so because this terrible experience of yours is deftly described. It's
well worth theread, and I can imagine it as a set piece within some
autobiographical novel or something.  Really fine work.

--Bill