[stylist] Ode To There-There

Miss Thea thearamsay at rogers.com
Wed Mar 19 16:45:15 UTC 2014

Hi, Bill:
I really liked your critique. I found some humor in it, i.e. repetitive
redundancies.
I'm still laughing my butt off about that one.

Actually, that "thapp" sound occurs when the ear meets the hand. Depending
on the way the kitty's ear either brushes or hits your palm, you can get a
"thapp" or "papp" sound.
As I have synesthesia, that is, words have tactile impressions for me, in
terms of object composition, shape, temp, etc. (I touch words and sounds),
onomatopoeia is a natural thing for me, as it was for our friend who created
the grinch and friends, together with green eggs and ham.
As to "thapp", the first time There-There's thin, flexible flap caught my
hand, he was in the process of shaking out his ears. They hit my hand and
made the "thapp-papp-thnapp! sound, which none of my other feline friends
ever did.
Even at that time, I exclaimed "Oh, thapp thapp thapp!"
Only later did I discover there were different sounds, according to the way
the ear falls on the hand, the amount of air pressure between his earflaps
and your hands, etc.
I love flexible, lithe things, and will probably favor those words too much.
This poem should properly be called Ode to There-There's Ears. LOL
I can't get enough of his thapps or the feel and movement of the thin-edged
silk that produces the sounds.
I'm also a fan of th. Any th word, because the sound brushes feathers on my
hands or face. (That's synesthesia again.)
Thea