[stylist] bios and cover letters

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:43:55 UTC 2014

April,

First, even sighted people have appalling grammar skills. As a writer
and editor, it's amazing how little respect most feel for the written
word.

Second, there are several ways to catch mistakes. Braille is the best
way for blind people to read and edit. Every thing will show up in
Braille just as in print. Once you can learn and use the Braille code,
it helps tremendously.

There are also ways to edit with screenreaders. I'm only familiar with
JAWS, but I think most are comparable. There are features you can use
with JAWS to help catch errors, though I admit the homonym thing isn't
easy to catch. If you know you have a tendency to misuse these words, I
would double check each instance of it. Also, the more you write, the
more you learn to use the proper form.

Lastly, as a blind person, it never hurts to have a sighted person
double check your work, especially to catch visual formatting issues.

As a former writing student who has and currently works as a writer and
editor, it's possible to have error-free or close communications. And as
you say, you're still learning; you'll get there. But this isn't just a
blind issue either.

Bridgit