[stylist] to tell or not to tell

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 21:27:43 UTC 2014

Unfortunately, we all seem to have stories like this. People often don't
believe me, that this kind of attitude doesn't exist, but it does.

While at university, I wanted to take a stage make-up class for extra
credit. The instructor had been my intro to theatre teacher, and I
wasn't thrilled at the prospect of having her again. As a final project
for intro to theatre, everyone wrote a skit, then the class read all of
them and voted on so many that would be performed. We were put into
groups, each having actors, stage/prop people and a director. I was
selected to direct the skit I wrote, which was one of the skits chosen
by the class. Because I'm blind though, the instructor insisted I needed
an assistant director, and then she proceeded to treat my assistant as
the director. I had to really fight for this, and the girl who was my
assistant got it and just let me do my thing, but my instructor was such
a bitch about it.

So when she learned I had registered for stage make-up, she contacted me
and wanted to meet. She then proceeded to not ask me questions of how I
would do things, but point-blank informed me there was no way a blind
person could take the class.

I told her that I wear make-up on a regular basis, so I already have the
fundamentals of make-up down. I also had done several performances where
we had to put on our own make-up, and I hadn't forgot how to do that. I
also use to be sighted, so I actually have a visual understanding of how
things should look, how to hold brushes and other tools and etc.

She told me I had no point of reference, which I have no idea what she
meant by that. After I kept insisting, she finally told me that I had to
take the class as an audit because she would have to fail me because she
wasn't going to give an unfair advantage to me just because I was blind.
That I would be graded the same as everyone else.

I told her I wouldn't expect anything less.

She said she would be forced to request I audit the class as opposed to
formally enroll, to which I asked what would be the point? I wouldn't
have it show up as an official class on my transcript. To which she once
again brought up how I would have a failing grade showing up on my
transcript.

Her point was that a blind person had no way of passing the class. And
even though I demonstrated some ideas that might be employed to help me,
she wouldn't budge on her position.

Clearly I had the right to get the DSO involved and take the class, but
it would have been an extra fine arts credit and not a class I was
required to take for my major, so I opted for another class. But I still
regret backing down in this situation. I had no doubts about my ability
to take and pass the class, and I should have done it anyway and told
her to suck on that, LOL! I know we have to pick and choose our battles,
but this probably was a battle I should have marched into. I was in my
final semester before graduating, and I just needed a few FA credits,
oddly enough not fullfilled by my previous round at university as a
vocal and theatre major. Anyway, So I dropped the class, but I wish I
would have stuck it out.

This has probably been the most blatant display of discrimination I've
faced since becoming blind. Oh, with the exception of our Gladys Kravitz
neighbor lady who was worried when we moved into our house with two
blind people living on their own, and I was pregnant at the time, so she
was equally worried about two blind people having a child. She thought
she should call someone. Then when my grandparents told her we were
college educated, employed, blah, blah, blah, she said, and I quote,
"Oh, I didn't think you were intelligent enough for that." We've since
run into her when out and about in the neighborhood, and she seems less
terrified of our plight, but this is something I will equally never
forget.

Bridgit