[stylist] a different take on archaeology

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:58:15 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

I've just finished your short story, which I read with interest. It says
a lot for your skills that you wrote a Gramdpa whom I absolutely
detested;  if he had been a stick figure, he wouldn't have affected me
at all.  I also hated the child's Dad, and in general the pair made me
grouse silently about the undeserved existence of irresponsible adults.
I had only two complaints which persist and they're  minor ones.  I
thought you repeated the men's last names more often than necessary.
And I wanted to see more reason for the grandfather's viciousness
towards a little boy.  I know that he's a mean drunk and that in real
life that's all the explanation you need.  But in fiction, it seems to
me, you require a little more chassis for that particular engine.  Other
than that, it's solid work, and I look forward to reading more of your
writing.

--Bill