[stylist] Poem - "Arrival" - First Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Tue May 6 22:00:45 UTC 2014

Hey Blinks,

Just finished a new poem.  Unlike much of my work, the language isn't
very dense and should parse fairly smoothly.  It's about the arrival of
alien guests and what they might have to say to us.  I like it;  your
mileage may vary.

--Bill

---

When they come, they'll come light hand,

their fingers like vines across void,

toting no blasters, forcing no gall

in our tender pink throats. Water, yes:

water they'll want, enough to bathe, enoughto drink,

enough for laughing relief.

We thought you mad, they'll say, we thought

you'd scream us down in blasted ruin.

We risked a dive into vapor, we thought.

we chanced our sires, we chanced our get;

you've let us land, pilgrims hilarious mild.

We weep for your troubles, and can solve

one or two, we think.The angels you pray for

don't ride in our star-cars, we sorrow to say.

But grant us a cup now, of water or milk,

and we'll talk.You'll tell us your tale and we'll

tell ours: failure-sharp, and troubled as broken gods.

copyright William L. Houts 2014
United States of America
All Rights Reserved