[stylist] Barnes & Noble Great New Writers Program

via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Wed May 21 04:07:23 UTC 2014

Barnes & Noble established the Discover Great New Writers™ program in 1990 to recognize great fiction and nonfiction debuts from authors at the start of their careers. A small group of Barnes & Noble bookseller volunteers convenes year-round to review submissions to the program and handpick titles for our promotion, currently featured at approximately 700 Barnes & Noble bookstores and 100 prominent Barnes & Noble College bookstores, as well as on www.bn.com/discover .

Annually, we recognize two of our exceptional writers with the Discover Great New Writers Award (one each for Fiction and Nonfiction). In addition to a $10,000 prize, we promote the winning titles extensively in our stores and online.
2013 Discover Fiction Award winner:  A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra 	2013 Discover Nonfiction Award winner:  Son of a Gun by Justin St. Germain

Previous recipients of the Discover Award include Monica Ali, Eric Blehm, Tracy Chevalier, Amanda Coplin, Joshua Ferris, Ben Fountain, Chang-rae Lee, Michael Levy, Elizabeth McCracken, Scott O'Connor, David Sheff, Hampton Sides, and Cheryl Strayed, among others.

Selection Process
Publishers recommend writers making a strong literary debut. Authors cannot submit their own work to the program; self-published writers and titles published via print-on-demand or available only as NOOK Books® are also ineligible for submission.

An in-house volunteer reading committee, comprised of more than a dozen Barnes & Noble booksellers from the stores and the Home Office, reads and discusses the proposed titles, choosing a selection of new books per season for special promotion.

Once selected, participation in Discover Great New Writers includes:

    * Face-out display in the Discover bay in each of our bookstores (length of display is usually 12 weeks)
    * An individual shelf-talker with a teaser line placed under each face-out
    * A 20% discount on Discover titles for the entire promotional season
    * Promotion online at www.bn.com/discover and The Discover Blog , as well as via consumer emails and the @BNBuzz Twitter feed for the Discover Award finalists and Discover Seasonal selections
    * Special consideration for Discover-selected writers for in-store events and book group discussions

Eligibility
Debuting authors and writers with fewer than three previously published books who have yet to receive a major literary award or whose net sales have yet to reach 10,000 copies are eligible. Exceptions are sometimes made for authors who have published more titles but have yet to break out to a larger audience. Submissions must be original publications, penned by one author .

Literary fiction, short story collections and literary nonfiction, such as travel essays, memoirs or other nonfiction with a strong narrative, qualifies. Books should be intended for an adult or a young adult audience.

Deceased authors and those previously featured in the Discover program are ineligible. Books submitted for a prior season and rejected will not be reconsidered.

Submissions must be made prior to book publication date.

2014-2015 Submission Deadlines Season Submission Deadline
Spring 2014 (January-March 2014)
Summer 2014 (April-July 2014)
Fall 2014 (August-October 2014)
Holiday 2014 (November-December 2014)
Spring 2015 (January-March 2015)
Summer 2015 (April-July 2015) 	June 27, 2013
December 12, 2013
April 3, 2014
June 26, 2014
September 25, 2014
December 11, 2014

Contact
For further information on submissions, contact:

Miwa Messer
Director, Discover Great New Writers
Barnes & Noble, Inc.
122 Fifth Avenue