[stylist] question about siting sources

Bridgit Pollpeter via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 03:13:55 UTC 2014

Vejas,

First, what style guide are you using? MLA, I assume?

Second, can you clarify something for me? Are you citing material from
Tan's memoir, which she references her own material?

If so, it will be understood that you're referencing her own material as
referenced by Tan herself. What you place in the actual in-text citation
is what and where you found your quote. I don't think you need follow
guidelines for when quoting material second-hand, which you would if the
author were different from the quote you want to use.

For example, if Tan were referencing a Stephan King quote, you may need
to cite it differently, though I still think you could get away with
stating something like, "In her memoir, Tan quotes Stephan King..."

Also, when quoting something within an existing quote, you use
apostrophes around second quote. So for example:

In Bridgit's memoir, she states, (comma) "(quotation marks) I found
myself seeking new inspiration. As I wrote in my book, (comma) '
(apostraphe )How long should I seek meaning in life?, (comma)'
(apostrophe)" (quotation marks) (Pollpeter, My Life Story, 92).
Punctuation on outside.

Clear as mud?

Also Google or use Purdue OWL to search specific rules for various
writing formats.

Bridgit