[stylist] Memorial Day

Lynda Lambert via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 13:09:50 UTC 2014

Jim,
I am glad you were moved by the connections you have with the topic of a
"memorial day."  We all have our personal family stories and tragic
circumstances that are marked by particular days. For my Mother, Christmas
was always bittersweet and in the celebration of Christmas with our family,
there was always a sadness in my Mother's heart because her father had died
on Christmas morning one year when I was a young girl. I remember that day
when we were opening our Christmas gifts, and my mother received the phone
call that took away her Christmas forever. In the poem, Memorial Day, I
connect our family celebration of Memorial Day, each year, with the news of
the tragic death of my cousin who had just committed suicide. All of the
characters in the poem are dead now. When I wrote the poem, they were all
alive and enjoying their annual Memorial Day picnic together.   In the poem,
though, they live on forever as they meet to celebrate a personal Memorial
Day, each in her own way. The Sestina was the best way for me to present the
complexity of the layers of time and the feelings of the women. It bave me
the "space" I needed to present this moment. Lynda