[stylist] New poem

Barbara Hammel via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Wed May 28 16:07:59 UTC 2014

I'm impressed with myself!  I figured that out ... but then, I'm from Iowa.
:)
(Sorry, I've had so much fun learning to smile and frown for sighted folks
that I can't help writing them.)  Maybe I'll teach JAWS to recognize it as
such.
And, no, it is spelled Veishea.  For those of you wondering about it, here's
a bit from Wikipedia for you.
Barbara

The VEISHEA logo displays many traditions of the celebration of and Iowa
State University

VEISHEA (pronounced "VEE-sha"[1]) is an annual week long celebration held
each spring on the campus of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. The
celebration features an annual parade and many open-house demonstrations of
the university facilities and departments. Campus organizations exhibit
products, technologies, and hold fund raisers for various charity groups. In
addition, VEISHEA brings speakers, lecturers, and entertainers to Iowa
State, and throughout its over eight decade history it has hosted such
distinguished guests as Bob Hope, John Wayne, Tony Bruno, Presidents Harry
Truman, Ronald Reagan, and Lyndon Johnson, and performers Diana Ross, Billy
Joel, Sonny and Cher, the Goo Goo Dolls and The Black Eyed Peas.[2] VEISHEA
is the largest student run festival in the nation, bringing in tens of
thousands of visitors to the campus each year.

The name of the festival is an acronym for the colleges of the university
that existed when the festival was founded in 1922:
Veterinary Medicine
Engineering
Industrial Science
Home Economics
Agriculture.

As the colleges have since been changed, the Iowa State Daily considers it
no longer an acronym, and spells it Veishea, with only the first letter
capitalized. Official university paraphernalia regarding the event still
puts it in full caps.

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.--Robert Frost