[stylist] Two poems plus answer to Lynda

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Fri Nov 14 16:50:11 UTC 2014

Lynda,
So much to discuss. I will start, but someone coming in 15 minutes.
When reading the poem of the Ruwenzories, if blind, please keep reading
through the stanza break at the bottom of the first page. The rules for
entering these contests are extremely strict about format, page numbering,
etc.
Now for answers to your questions. I was badly battered some 19 years ago,
left with a broken nose, gashed forehead, punctured eardrum, internal
injuries, etc. Shortly after I developed Menieres syndrome and had
intermittent hearing in my left ear, finally losing all hearing there, and
vertigo so badly I could often not get up, or walk. They drilled out my left
cochlea which of course, means I also cannot have a cochlear implant. From
that time, my hearing has been very distorted, I have no directionality of
sounds, and my balance is terrible, though I no longer have vertigo. The
hearing in my right ear has been in a steady decline, and that is where my
hearing aid is fitted. This is one reason I do not get in on the conference
calls, or no longer enjoy music. My life was music and dance from all over
the world, so it has been rough.
The hearing aid I wear now has something I wear around my neck with about 8
different settings for the hearing aid itself, but has to be re-charged
about every four hours, except for the very basic setting.
I understand JAWS very well, but phones, even those made for those with
hearing aids, are extremely problematic.
Yes, my husband and I travelled extensively from our post in Uganda, East
Africa. Like servicemen, we had a three week break every two years because
of the difficult area we lived in.
My most favorite places to live were in Africa, and Greece. I loved the
people of Greece  with their outspoken and sometimes flamboyant ways in
argument, but the ready enjoyment that quickly followed. I loved the islands
with their mystic lore, the food, meat on a stick when the bus stopped for a
quick rest, and most of all, their dancing. I learned so many of their
circle dances, as well as the Jewish ones.
At the girl's school, a USAID project  in Tororo, Uganda, where we were for
five years, the African girls from 29 different tribes taught me the African
dances, and I taught them folk dances from around the world. My climb up the
Rewenzories, or possibly you know them as The Mountains of the Moon, was a
ten day harrowing climb. We hit the summit above Speke glacier to look down
into the Congo. That climb is the high point of my entire life. On the way
back, I broke my foot, and had to make two segments of the descent being
tied to a pole, hung in a potato sack sling, with Zed, the headman taking
the lead down a very narrow trail, sometimes with my head down. I could feel
their muscles quiver through the pole.   I have a book in progress about the
entire five years called, "Lizard in the Bean sauce." The lizard is Idi
Amin, who indeed poisoned the entire country with his violence and murder.
I liked France and Germany least of the many countries we visited.
I agree, however, that one must have a few months at least to get to know
the customs, and know the people.
I could go on forever, but time just does not permit. I can write to the
list soon and attach some of my African poems, little capsules or slices of
life.

Jackie

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.