[stylist] Slate & Style holiday issue deadline reminder

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 05:03:40 UTC 2014

The deadline for submissions for our holiday issue is fast approaching.
Below is the notice for the holiday issue:

Slate & Style Seeking Submissions for Holiday Issue

Last year, Slate & Style published the first-ever holiday issue. We offered
a short volume, but it was a hit. So, looking forward to 2014's holiday
season, we will now begin accepting submissions. And by holiday season, we
mean holidays falling between November and January.

We will accept short fiction, poetry, memoir/personal essays and articles
discussing various holidays and interesting information and histories. All
submissions must be emailed by November first. Refer to Slate & Style's
submission guidelines for length.

Material can be previously published or brand-spanking new. If submitting
previously published material, please note and provide publication name and
year.

Submissions do not have to be about Christmas. They can relate to any aspect
of the holiday season between November and January, and it can involve any
religious activity, tradition and/or custom celebrated or practiced around
the holiday season. And you don't have to directly write about a holiday,
but simply have your submission take place during the holiday season.

No subject matter, genre or style is off limits. We will consider all
submissions. Try to not be over-sentimental though. Edgy and gritty are
perfectly acceptable. Sentimentality is not against guidelines, but neither
is darker, edgier material. Be realistic and honest in your approach.
Remember, It's a Wonderful Life wasn't all sunshine and rainbows and puppy
dogs, and A Christmas Story relied on wit and sarcasm.

Last year's issue included a fiction story about a mother coping with the
death of her son, a memoir about a little girl addressing her disfuntional
parents, a poem celebrating the New Year and a fiction piece taking place
after a zombie apocalypse.

Submissions must be emailed by November first. Please submit by following
regular Slate & Style guidelines, which are in each issue of the magazine
and on the Division website. Email me at bpollpeter at hotmail.com with
questions.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style