[stylist] IMPORTANT!!! Tell Your Story- RE: Thursday word: corollary

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Oct 17 10:58:26 UTC 2014

Hi you Writers, one and all!
RE: Tell your story, help us celebrate 75 years of our NFB

On our list serve, STYLIST, we get a word of the day. A great and thoughtful
service provided by one of our youngest members, Vejas Vasiliauskas; a high
school student from California. The word and its definition immediately
follows, ending with my finishing comments to you:

Corollary
co-ro-larry
noun
an immediate consequence
Although the corollary for not doing well on your math test is that you feel
depressed, it won't really matter in the long run.

Finishing thoughts: As these words are to inspire learning and writing on
our part, corollary, reminded me of our Federation wide 75 anniversary
Kernel book project! That is, for our special 75 year addition, we are
gathering personal stories which demonstrate a Corollary between life's
experiences, and what we within the Federation have learned to understand
about blindness.

My piece that I am working on, is entitled, Sir, did you know you are on the
roof! (MMM, picture that one.)

(From the NFB.org site:)
***History of the Kernel Book series:

There are currently thirty Kernel Books which tell the stories of blind men
and women.  When the first editor, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, was asked why he
chose the name Kernel Book, he said: "... In the first place, I suppose it
has to do with whim. I thought the title was catchy, so I used it. But there
is something more. We wanted to go to the very heart of blindness, trying to
show our readers what it's really like; and, for that matter, what it isn't
like."

If you are blind, what do you think and how do you look at things--not how
do you look at them physically, but your point of view and perspective?  In
short, how do blind people live and feel on a daily basis?  What we are
trying to do is to cut through the sentimentality and misconceptions to the
very 'kernel' of the subject of blindness.

To read some of these kernels of truth, go to -
https://nfb.org/kernel-books

(You have to the end of this year to get this one written, and into Gary
Wunder at gwunder at nfb.org

Respectfully yours,
Robert Leslie Newman
President, NFB Writers' division
(Below is the original message sent to STYLIST)