[stylist] Scenic Iowa (second time around)

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Wed Sep 17 17:28:18 UTC 2014

Scenic Iowa
by Shawn Jacobson
Writing friends
I re-did this poem and sent it in to the Midwest Prairie review.  My thanks to those who gave comments (I remember that a lot of you did).

Shawn

Scenic Iowa
by Shawn Jacobson
Scenic Iowa does not awe with mighty mountains
or roar with crashing ocean waves.
She does not amaze with stark desert vistas
awesome with wondrous red rocks,
nor does she dazzle with towering cityscapes
crowned with a myriad twinkling lights.
You are in your aunt's garden.  The daylilies
red, gold and white; were inspired by Father.
This blue tree painted for reasons forgotten
stands out among green leaves and yellow fruit.
Scenic Iowa appears as beauty from mad color's welter.
You walk central campus, as great trees
dark green reach for evening's jewel blue sky.
Scenic Iowa peaks out at you
from the distant, building studded horizon.
As you walk this ground
that time and adventure taught you to love.
Your mother awaits you at journey's end,
with hugs, food and coffee.
You have come far to see your childhood home
traveling dark highways, over mountains, through storms.
Scenic Iowa appears in loving eyes
bidding you savor this precious time.
Scenic Iowa is modest, in her rolling green hills.
She shyly looks out from wooded streambeds.
Chaste she appears in wintry white
when show covers the ground.
Even in November's brown she calls through iron cold
beckoning with scenic love.