[stylist] thank you all plus clarification

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:15:41 UTC 2015

Vejas,

Most people, up until very recently, did deny being gay, even to themselves,
but especially during the Victorian era. Queen Victoria very famously said
there was no such thing as a lesbian, and pretty much world-wide, it was
technically illegal to quote on quote be gay. However, some people hid it as
best as they could while engaging in homosexual activity (sorry if I'm
saying this wrong) while others did in deed bok at the rules and lived
openly gay. Does the author actually state her friend was gay, that she told
the author she was gay? Or is it something the author assumed? Love can
exist on many levels, and to tell a best friend they love them is not a mark
of homosexuality. I also have not read the book, so I'm speculating here.

You critique nonfiction pretty much the same way you critique fiction.
Address stylistic choices like point of view, voice, structure-- does the
author use a lyrical voice? Do they rely on scenic development? Or do they
report scenes and stick to an internal dialogue? What kind of diction to
they use? Style kind of encompasses everything about the writing. And as I
said later, try to find direct quotes from the book to help illustrate your
points.

Sorry if this is not clear as I'm writing at 2 in the morning while trying
to finish packing for a trip, grin.

Happy Easter, whatever that means to people, smile.

Bridgit