[stylist] Poem - "Oz" - Secondish Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 21:58:12 UTC 2015

HI Bridgit, One of my Favorite POet Ladies here:

I'm so glad you like this poem.  I've been meaning to write one about
this stuff for a long time now, especially about Margaret Hamilton's
priceless double take when Glinda suggests that a falling house might
land on her.  It's hilarious and puts me in mind of the surprising
notion that, on top of everything else, Margaret Hamilton had a flair
for the comic.  Anyway, thank you so much.

Bill

light, it's raining witch hating houses. As for meaning, I take this two
ways. I see it as a metaphor addressing homosexuality and the way people
still treat gays. I also see it as a general metaphor addressing anyone
deemed different, whether it be in appearance, religion, sexual
orientation or anything else. I may be way off, but this is how I
perceive the poem. Regardless, I love that you used Oz in any way,
smile. Bridgit -----Original Message----- From: stylist
[mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of William L Houts via
stylist Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:19 PM To: Writer's Division
Mailing List Subject: [stylist] Poem - "Oz" - Secondish Draft Hi Blinks,
Here's the first poem I've written in several weeks. I think it's
readable, maybe a little better even than that. I've spent a couple of
hours on it today, and may yet spend another few. But I think it might
have legs enough to get off its Frankenstein table and walk around a
bit, maybe throw a little girl or two into the lake. Your mileage may
vary. Comments welcome, as always. --Bill --- Oz Not your stale film
buff frames, the stuff which always gets mentioned in Garland powwows.
The Lollipop Guild, the Lullabye League, the fallen house and the witch
beneath it,her comic awful feet protruding like blackest slapstick. What
gets me are moments telling tiny, like witch's double take, her
frightened skyward glance when Glinda hints, loopy light, it's raining
witch hating houses. Or the flight of buzzard monkeys, nightmare soaked,
how one captures Toto,and springs into the air, a kite, convincing
wingwise high. And the red brick road entwined, a skein of fate, with
the yellow, the road for witches past their melting, the ones who wander
marvelous to croak their cosmic plea: ah, what a world, what a world!

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"