[stylist] Hi, everyone

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 19:10:52 UTC 2015

Hi Rowena,
Welcome to the list. I have RP as well, and I have had no useful vision for
decades. My first novel, The Heart of Applebutter Hill, was self-published
in 2013. I tried to get an agent, but my portrayal of a blind teenaged girl
was "unrealistic" - i.e. not needy and one-dimensional enough for the
industry.

To answer your question ... I used MS Word to format my book for Smashwords,
Kindle and Nook. I use the screen reader Jaws and Word 2010. I would not
call it inaccessible, just maddeningly tedious. I had used Word to format my
book for print and was actually very close to being done with it when I
burned out and hired Create Space to do it. Setting up the page formatting
using CS's guidelines for finished size, margins  and gutters was
straight-forward, and somehow, I figured out sections, styles and page
numbering, but I got a bit stumped trying to get the page headers right.
It's doable, but trying to give yourself a crash course on Jaws, Word and
the CS instructions all at the same time was more than I could ultimately
manage. I wish I'd taken a breather and completed it myself, but I'm not
really sorry I spent the $300 or whatever it was.

Looking forward to getting to know you,
Donna W. Hill