[stylist] Jackie's special things prompt

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Aug 3 18:54:10 UTC 2015

Barbara, my ideal life would have been to live on a farm - I visited farms
with my neighborhood friends and with school friends every chance I got.
I am the last person anyone would have ever thought would grow up to be an
educator - as I absolutely despised school from first grade through high
school.  I can only name two teachers in those 12 years that influenced me
at all - both English teachers. The others are all part of a huge hot mess
in my mind if I even try to remember any of them.   Some day I will write
about my first day in first grade - it's not a pretty story but it is
hilarious!!!  And, things never progressed much  from that first encounter -
but when I went to college, I had it all my way - a ticket to do whatever I
was interested in doing and profs that pushed and challenged students - I
could study and do anything I wanted to do  academically. I could have been
a student forever.  My opinion of public education is quite low. Many of the
most advanced students I was privileged to work with when I taught were from
home school families - and they were usually miles ahead of the students who
came from public schools.  And, of course they were the most difficult
students to have in the classroom because they had expectations that were
very high and they challenged their peers.  Lynda