[stylist] Apple vs. PC

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:37:23 UTC 2015

Okay, this topic has come up a lot lately, and I thought I would share what
I learned at a student seminar this weekend.

I spoke with several tech experts, blind and sighted, and across the board,
I was told that for word processing purposes, it's really what you are
comfortable with and use too. If you use a PC and are comfortable with it,
they see no need to switch, though nothing wrong with using Apple word
processors.

However, when it comes to editing, stick with PC and MS Word. It's
apparently the most accessible and straight-forward. No one recommended
using Apple when editing, whether a paper for class, work or for those who
are writers/editors. My estimation is if just jotting down notes or ideas,
using a device like IPad or even Mac Book would be fine, but when ready to
write and edit, stick with a Windows-based product.

Now, you can work on an Apple product then just transfer over to a
Windows-based product when working more formally on something, but this
would require purchasing more than one device or having access to more than
one device. So again, it's what works for you, what you are familiar with
and what you wish to do financially.

And there is now a version of MS Office for Apple products, but it's
currently not very accessible for those using screenreaders, according to
the people I spoke with.

So, for what it's worth, this is what I learned, thought I would share.

Bridgit