[stylist] Tanka

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Tue Aug 11 14:41:04 UTC 2015

Eve and all interested,
I know what you mean. I was floored when I began doing the research last
April on tanka.  I was clueless about it, really.  To be honest, I chose it
because it is short poetry and for the month of April I just wanted to try
to writ a poem a day - so that seemed like a quick way to go.  OH, was I
wrong on that!!!  Instead of writing 30 tanka that month, I had jumped into
a major research problem - I did write a number of tanka, but once I began
to make the new discoveries I realized how off base I was in my thinking of
what a tanka is and how it should look and feel.  So now I got serious about
learning more.  I know this is a puzzle and unless anyone here is
interested in doing the tanka or haiku or other Japanese forms it won't
interest you.  One rule of thumb is to understand that there is a very wide
divide and difference between western and eastern thought. To realize this
is the beginning of understanding this discrepancy in our western
understanding of what an eastern poem form should look like.

The first thing I learned was that the pattern Barbra has here is what I
found on all the on-line articles but its really much more complex than
that. When I first received my literary magazines as a new  member of the
Tanka Society of America, I opened it up and began to look it over - what a
big surprise I had!  Immediately, I saw that almost NONE of the poems there
(200 in each mag) looked like the form Barbara posted in her note. And, this
is what I also thought was "tanka" form, so I we so perplexed.

Then, I went to a Haiku specialty magazine - and found the same situation
there!   So, I began contacting the experts - because this is what really
interests me right now and I want to learn to do a lot of work in tanka in
my future.  I joined the society so I could be up to date with the latest
information and be a part of something I was very interested in - Japanese
poem forms.

Here is what one  editor wrote to me:

"There are some western poets who do write in the traditional syllabic
style, but they are few and far between, and not usually well represented in
many of the more established journals
or showcased in the numerous anthologies that are produced each year.

Traditional Japanese poets still write in the syllabic style and use
official kigo from a officially recognized sajiki, but there are plenty of
Japanese poets who are not traditional
and write haiku which are reminiscent of what is being produced by poets in
the west. I suggest you check out someone like Kaneko Tohta or Ban'ya
Natsuishi to get an idea of just how adventurous some Japanese poets are. "

Now, unless any writer  wants to really get down to serious business with
tanka or haiku,  it does not matter so much and certainly  he can use the
western  forms that are generally believed to be how it is done with no
worries.   In that case,  it is just some interesting information to share.
But I want more than that in what I am doing because  I have had a lasting
passion for Japanese culture and Japanese dance (Butoh) since I first
attended performances of Sankai Juku,  Matsuka Tunaka and Kim Itoh.  I'm
interested in learning more about how to bring those sensibilities and
nuances into what I do in my own writing life.  it matters to me that I
learn as much as I can and I want my work to be worthy of publication in a
journal that focuses on Japanese poetry.  Looking back I was even writing
about Japanese dance - Butoh -  in my poetry a long time ago - and some of
the poems about Butoh are in my book. I started writing  them in the
mid-80s -

On April 10, 2015, I  published a special article on tanka on my blog,
Walking by Inner Vision, a few months ago and then I got a note from a tanka
master asking if I intended to do a Part 2 of my article - of course, I am
going to do thiat this week! In my first article I did not have all this
vital information that I now understand so I have to take my readers to the
next level.  I thought it was a gentle way to correct me, by asking if Part
2 would be forthcoming. I'll be working on that today!

Here is the link to my Part I essay on the Tanka! It is a good place to
begin. Part 2 will take us further into the form.

http://lyndalambert.com/tanka-writing-assignment-12/
Lynda