[stylist] sharing

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 03:06:14 UTC 2015

One of my favorite authors (especially when I was younger but
still I like her) is Beverly Butler.  Beverly may not be alive
anymore, not sure.  She is a blind author.  She has written a
couple of books where her main character was blind, Light A
Single Candle and Gift of Gold, I think.  She has written that
other books with sighted characters, but her descriptions are
mostly non-visual.  (I believe she was blind from birth).  I
never felt like I was missing anything, because her descriptions
are so very clear.  I can't write visually because I don't "know"
what I'm writing about.  I once wrote a story for an English
class with an apple-cheeked woman.  I knew it meant that she had
red cheeks.  But my teacher said that unless I really "knew" what
an apple-cheeked woman was like, I shouldn't write that way.  If
I write about a sunny day, with the sun shining warmly down like
a smile, I can relate to that.  But if I write: "The day was one
of those days when the sky was as blue as forever" I would just
be writing words from "pictures" in my mind, but I don't know
what it really means.  (And yet in a way Can do.  I don't exactly
know how to explain that.  Oh well.    Debby