[stylist] sharing is now SciFi books

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:30:05 UTC 2015

I'm not a big SciFi reader, it really depends on the story and characters.
Typically, I'm not big into aliens and spaceships and that stuff, however, I
recently read Vagrant by Peter Newman. This is so well-written, and
beautifully written. It's poetic at times, and it has great characters. I
found this book on Audible and decided to try it out and loved it. I
recommend this to most anyone even if not a huge SciFi reader.

I prefer speculative fiction though. Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite
authors in this genre. Love her style and voice, and she creates great
characters and plots with points, but you don't feel like she's preaching at
you. Another spec fic author I have discovered and love is Paolo Bacigaoupi.
Wind Up Girl and Water Knife are amazing books. Another author writing about
social, economic and environmental issues, but you don't feel like he's
preaching or belaboring a point. You just get lost in the story.

I typically enjoy fantasy over SciFi, and Neil Gaimon is probably my
favorite fantasy writer, but he also writes SciFi, and I like some of his
SciFi stories. Gaimon recently published a short story collection, Trigger
Warnings, and some of the stories are SciFi. I enjoyed most of them, though
I will never understand the Lovecraft lovers. Sorry, just not my cup of tea,
smile.

Based on these authors, I guess I like a more literary style in my SciFi
writing.

Bridgit