[stylist] SF and fantasy novels

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:05:03 UTC 2015

Eragon is okay. Personally, it gets a little weird, and turns into a high
fantasy story, which I'm not always a fan of. Lord of the Rings is great,
but even now, I much more prefer urban fantasy and fractured fairytales over
high fantasy.

Harry Potter seems to be the exception for most people. I don't know how
many people tell me they do not like fantasy except HP. I took a HP class at
university as a literature elective. The instructor was not a fantasy fan,
but she loved HP and was curious as to why so many people, especially
non-fantasy readers, loved it, so she designed a course. It was a really fun
class, and I knew a lot going in but learned so much more about all the
historical and literary references Rowling used in HP. I hear she may return
to HP's world, though she said she was done with it. That would be amazing.

I do like a lot of epic fantasy as well. Anthony Ryan's Raven Shadows
trilogy is really good, though the third and final novel was a bit of a
let-down but still worth the read. The first book, Blood Song, is amazing.
Another one is Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind series. Awaiting the
third and final installment, but the first two are great. Wind has really
great characters and an interesting plot. It's well-written, and I think
most fantasy fans will enjoy it.

I hate most modern vampire novels, especially Twilight, gag, but I just
finished The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black and really liked it.
First, I like how Black writers, often lyrical at times. And this story was
a lot darker compared to most vampire fluff these days. The vampires were
actually scarey. A lot closer to Rice's Interview than Meyers Twilight.

Bridgit