[stylist] Nonfiction books

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:15:55 UTC 2015

Hey, we talk a lot about fiction books but what about nonfiction books? I
recently read American Sniper by Chris Kyle. Polarizing but interesting to
get inside the mind of a military sniper. Orange is the New Black by Piper
Kerman was a lot better than I expected. The NetFlicks show is loosely based
on the book, and Kerman's a producer for the show, but the show deviates
vastly from the book. I think she could have expanded a bit more at times,
but it's well-written and gives an insider perspective of our prison system
for women. Now, I also read Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison, Hugh
Heffner's former girlfriend because there was so much hype about it, and I
saw her in so many interviews discussing the book, I wanted to find out
first hand what it was all about. I was very pleasantly surprised at how
well-written it was. She actually crafted it artistically, adding a unique
voice and style, and I enjoyed the fairytale thread running through the
entire book. Not so sure I buy her version of events, but her book is
well-written and actually worth checking out. I'm currently reading My Life
in Motion by Misty Copeland, about Copeland herself, the first soloist to
dance in the American Dance Academy who is black, and she's now the first
black principle ballerina. So far, it's really good and well-written. You
don't have to be a dancer or love dance to enjoy this book, but for us
former ballerina's, you can definitely appreciate it.

Bridgit