[stylist] Looking for ideas on good children's books

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 19:19:56 UTC 2015

Shawn,

I loved the Narnia books as a kid, but when I re-read as an adult, the magic was gone, and the theology was too present, if you know what you're looking for, smile.

Lewis was very intentional with the theology in Narnia as well as most his books, including the Paralandra books. People do place a lot of emphasis on the Christian theology in Lewis's books, as well as Tolkien's, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness, but it's not exactly without merit. After Lewis's conversion from Atheism to Christianity, he made this a huge theme in most his writing. And it wasn't always subtle.

I'm not against writing about one's beliefs and convictions, in fact, writing is a great medium to express such things. But I find the theology in Narnia in particular too present and contradicting current views and beliefs I have.

I do like Mere Christianity because it explains Christianity, at least Anglicanism, in laymen's terms, and is so simple and precise. Lewis was well-educated and incredibly intelligent, yet he had this knack for writing to the masses, something Tolkien, though I'm a huge fan, didn't quite accomplish. Lewis was also an interesting, enigmatic person, who I find fascinating.

For those Narnia and HP lovers, check out Lev Grossman's Magician series. It's great. A cool, edgy, post-modern take on fantasy, referencing Narnia and Harry Potter, among other known stories, yet retaining a uniqueness. It gently satirizes while also paying homage to the series and the stories it references. I honestly think even those who do not enjoy fantasy will like this trilogy because it's not taking itself seriously, and it has great characters, which is at the root of every great tale.

Bridgit