[stylist] Lucille Clifton's poem Miss Rosie

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Dec 13 14:59:34 UTC 2015

Yes, I taught the course, "African American Art and Culture at Geneva
College, when I was a professor there for many years. It was a course for
English majors who were seniors - a 400 level course.  I taught Clifton's
work every semester. I have written extensively about African American
writers and artists. My work published and I was a Pennsylvania Scholar  for
the PA Humanities Council and in that capacity lectured
across the state and at conferences on this topic.  Poetry is my "thing."

My advice is that you look at more than one poem by Clifton (or any other
poet you choose).  You'll need to  get a view of how the writer  thinks and
you need to read a ton of work by any particular poet to get this
information.
Think about why the author chose to write this piece and you have to know a
lot to figure this out. You will need to use the poet's words as your
primary source of information.  What else is the poet speaking about in
other works? The, too, you need to do a ton of research on the work of
African American writers in general.

Explore culture, world view, historical context, themes,  Ask why this
literature is distinctly DIFFERENT than literature written by a poet of a
different cultural background - it IS!

You  mentioned writing about Frost, this is quite a departure and an
enormous stretch if you plan to work with both poets.  I fully agree with
the information that Chris Keul sent to you - that is the place to begin
thinking about how you will approach this project.  I think you have to look
at the bigger picture and historical context first, for whatever you decide
to work with.  I can provide you with additional information if you want me
to do that - this is my expertise.  But, you need to do the work of research
first.  Glad to help if needed. Hope this helps.
Lynda McKinney Lambert

www.lyndalambert.com
www.llambert363.wordpress.com