[stylist] Just Read a Very Interesting Book

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 02:00:50 UTC 2015

Hi,
I'm still on this list, I just haven't posted much lately with
getting adjusted to going to LCB.  I will try to contribute more
often and get some writing done in this New Year.
Anyway...
I just read a very interesting book, called Blindsided by
Priscilla Cummings.  It is about a girl named Natalie, who
started to lose her vision when she was 8 and finally, as a
sophomore in high school, had to go to a school for the Blind in
Maryland.  As a student who is currently attending LCB, I find
the differing expectations very interesting.  At the school in
Baltimore, students would walk sighted guide (which is hugely
discouraged here), and, if they had food on their clothes, nobody
would tell them (we are told by the sighted staff if we have
something on our clothes).  Cooking was nonexistent, since in the
book there is a dining hall for all three meals.  Many of the
former graduates of the school in the book seem to have ended up
in a sheltered workshop-type environment.  They still did learn
cane travel, Braille and technology.  The author is not blind,
and I wonder if she had known more about what NFB centers are
like, if she would have written the book differently.  It really
just gave me some things to think about and re-iterated to me
that some schools and centers just don't teach to a pupil's full
potential.
Just some food for thought.
Vejas