[stylist] Wondering if anyone has thoughts on blindness and independant vacation travel?

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Thu Feb 12 19:36:16 UTC 2015

My one time traveling internationally on my own (without my sighted wife or sighted parents) was when I went to Toronto for a statistics conference.  Toronto is just like the good old USA accept when it isn't.

I started out using my cane (I start with the cane in unfamiliar places) but my experience is that folks in Toronto do not honor the white cane.  Drivers think someone with a cane can get out of the way as well as a sighted person.  The one person who know what a white cane was about gave directions by grabbing the end of my cane and leading me about.  I traveled without the cane after one day.

Shawn